Foreign Affairs Minister George Yeo has challenged the Workers' Party (WP) to show what it has done for the residents in Aljunied.
- Sunday at 1:44pm ·
- George Yeo Ravi, puzzled by your comment. My track record as an MP of Aljunied GRC is an open book since 1988. Never made promises lightly and always tried to carry them out faithfully. For the coming 5 years, we have laid out our plans in some detail. Why is it a cheap shot to ask Opp for its track record and plans for the future? Surely the residents of Aljunied should know.Sunday at 11:26pm · · 1 person
- Ravi PhilemonHi Mr George Yeo, thank you for your reply. I do not doubt that you have a track record in Aljunied, that you have a future plan for Aljunied and that you do not make promises lightly. But the Workers' Party besides walking and working the ground, will not have as much a track-record as you because they will not have the resources of the elected MP to implement their plans. And that is why I feel that it is unfair to ask the opposition for their track record. A candidate from PAP who loses an election, also gets to stay on in the ward as an advisor of the grassroots and will have access to funds through PA. But the losing opposition candidate has no such luxury. He/She has to utilise his/her own monies even for the walking and working in the ground. As for plans for the future, yes, they should and I believe have it already. The election should be about who has the better idea. An idea which the majority believes should be where they want to be in the future.Yesterday at 12:20pm · · 5 people
- George Yeo Ravi, thanks. It is not just about ideas but also about trust. It takes time to trust someone, and a track record, even if it is about work in an NGO, or attending to small things, is important. If I had not interacted with you in the last two or three years, this exchange would have a different quality.Yesterday at 12:57pm · · 1 person
- Ravi PhilemonYes, I agree Mr George Yeo. It is about ideas and trust. So, the track-record that you are asking for is not necessarily their track record in the GRC, but it is a track-record of the types of issues that they have raised and the kinds of engagements they've had. If those are the types of track-record you are asking of your opponents, that would be fair enough. But many of the new candidates from PAP, would not have such 'track-records' either.23 hours ago ·
- George Yeo For Aljunied GRC, Ong Ye Kung is the only new candidate. He has a good track record and I'll happily vouch for him.22 hours ago ·
- Alex Waipang Au Ravi, you wrote above "the track-record that you are asking for is not necessarily their track record in the GRC". If that's what George is now trying to say then he should publicly take CNA to task for misreporting this in its opening sentence: "Foreign Affairs Minister George Yeo has challenged the Workers' Party (WP) to show what it has done for the residents in Aljunied." So which is it?
Ravi Philemon Hi Mr George Yeo, I agree with Alex Waipang Authat if the the track-record that you are asking for is not necessarily their track record in the GRC, than CNA seem to have misrepresented you in saying "Foreign Affairs Minister George Yeo has challenged the Workers' Party (WP) to show what it has done for the residents in Aljunied".
George Yeo Ravi, that too. I'm not asking about big things which need government funding. Good for Aljunied residents to know, surely.2 hours ago ·
- George Yeo Ravi, btw, I never used the word 'challenge' in the interview.2 hours ago · · 1 person
- Ravi Philemon Mr George Yeo, then, by that definition, Ong Ye Kung would not have a good track-record in Aljunied GRC, because he only started accompanying you in your GRC since February 2011.2 hours ago ·
- George Yeo Ravi, it is true that Ong YK has no track record in Aljunied GRC but has a strong record record in the Civil Service and NTUC, and an interesting father who was a Barisan Legislative Assemblyman. As for WP, we'll soon know what are their track records in Aljunied GRC now that Parliament has been dissolved. Regards, George8 minutes ago · · 1 person
- George Yeo Aljunied GRC and nationally8 minutes ago ·